Well, it’s finally getting chilly in Los Angeles….yes that mean a dip into the 60’s. I can’t believe that I lived in New York City for 10+ years, I’ve lost my ability to handle cooler weather. Now that we are having this cooler weather, I decided to bring out the slow cooker and this week I made beef stew (I called in Beef Bourguignon in the video, but it’s more like a beef stew ;-)) and just had to share it. So, I made it live on Periscope on Monday, if you’re on Periscope please follow me so that you can catch my next live endeavor. You can find me at: https://www.periscope.tv/GFAvenger So the Periscope and the recipe are below.
- 2 lb cubed beef stew meat
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour I used King Arthur all purpose GF flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery with a few minced leaves
- 2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 onions diced
- Put GF flour, salt and pepper in a large ziploc bag.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a cast iron skillet.
- Place meat in bag with the flour and shake until well coated.
- Shake off meat pieces and add them to the oil and stir until slightly browned, add brown pieces to your slow cooker.
- Add red wine to cast iron skillet to deglaze the pan. Add all liquid to slow cooker.
- Add broth, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and spices to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 5 hours (stirring every 1 hour).