When I was 9 years old, my mom and I moved to Texas. That’s where I first learned of the tradition of eating black eyed peas for good luck on New Year’s Day. Given that we were from California, my mom would make our black eyed peas into a salad with raw veggies and a light dressing. My husband on the other hand always made his grandfather’s simple and easy black eyed pea recipe with basically 3 major ingredients. He’s been making this recipe for me for about 14 years now (we just celebrated the 15th anniversary of our first date on December 20, 2016) and I must say that it never disappoints.
If you’re not familiar with the black eyed pea tradition for good luck, here’s a bit of backstory. According to About Food:
“On New Year’s Day, you’ll find people throughout the South eating black-eyed peas and greens……Eating black-eyed peas on New Year’s has been considered good luck for at least 1,500 years.”
Well I think many of us can agree that 2016 was not our favorite year. Therefore, I think it’s imperative that we do what we can to ensure that 2017 ROCKS! I know that I will be having my black eyed peas, will you?
Easy Black Eyed Pea Recipe
- 1 15 oz can of black eyed peas with liquid
- ⅓ cup of yellow onion chopped
- 2 slices of thick-cut bacon
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of chili powder
- Sauté bacon in a sauce pan for about 5-10 minutes until cooked, but not crispy.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add can of black eyed peas with all liquid into the same sauce pan.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for about 5 minutes until reduced slightly.