This week I’m making guacamole. I never used to be a fan of avocados or guacamole growing up but when I moved to New York I fell in love wit the table-side guacamole from Rosa Mexicano and have been a huge fan ever since.
Here’s a fun fact for you, did you know that guacamole was originally created to make brownish looking avocados palatable? Now we take it for granted that we can have fabulous avocados without any bruises or brown color at all, but what a smart way to create an awesome tasty snack from less than avocados.
Please check out this week’s Gluten Free Avenger Episode 28: Guacamole, you can click below to start viewing or use this link (https://youtu.be/HutbCVZ62ts). Please scroll below to see the full recipe.
Guacamole- Easy to Make Crowd Pleaser
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp of fresh lime juice or lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup of minced red or white onion
- 2 jalepeno chiles stems and seeds removed, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves and tender stems, finely chopped
- A dash of freshly grated black pepper
- 1/2 ripe tomato seeds and pulp removed, chopped
- Cut the avocados in half. Remove seed. Scoop out avocado from the peel, put in a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork or spoon, roughly mash the avocado. (Don't overdo it! The guacamole should be a little chunky.) Sprinkle with salt and lime juice. The acid in the lime juice will help delay the avocados from turning brown. Add the chopped onion, cilantro, black pepper, and chiles.
- Taste can vary depending on the freshness of the ingredients, so start with this recipe and adjust to your taste.
- Place plastic wrap on the surface of the guacamole cover it and to prevent air reaching it. (The oxygen in the air causes oxidation which will turn the guacamole brown.) Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Please take a second and give me your comments down below and let me know what you think.