The 3 As of personal branding are essential to creating a strong and effective personal brand.
Understanding these key principles and how they can be incorporated into your personal brand strategy is important. The 3 As are authenticity, altruism, and action. These principles have the power to shape the perception that others have of you and can greatly impact your success. Whether you are a business owner, a creative, or just looking to build your personal brand, the 3 As can help guide you in the right direction.
Read this article to learn more about the 3 As of personal branding and how they only stand to benefit you and your personal brand.
Table of Contents
I believe that it’s so important to lead with altruism, authenticity, and action. Giving people the answer to their questions is the fastest way to build trust. I have a business coach I used to work with, and she held an executive position at her company. She just started to make videos that would give people information that she was an expert on, giving away knowledge. She said that someone that followed her reached out and sent her a direct message. They were so grateful for her free advice that they felt like compensating her.
Up until this point, she was not a business coach. She was just sharing information and later, turned it into a multi-multimillion dollar. This might sound like a crazy story, but as she learned, and as I’m going to discuss in this blog, sharing great information actually makes people want to give you something, whether it’s money or they want to give you their email or they want to somehow connect with you because they, they thank you.
Do you want to attract more clients and boost revenue?
There have been instances where the Clair Bahn Group has had to turn away potential clients because it was evident that their intentions were not rooted in altruism. They only wanted to sell their book or accomplish a personal goal, and their motive was palpable. This happened in my previous business, which involved helping people build their online presence for online dating and LinkedIn. Just like in dating, desperation to achieve a certain outcome can repel people.
When you are not authentic and genuine, people will sense it and be repelled instead of attracted. Authenticity and altruism are crucial in gaining the trust and appreciation of others. People must feel that you genuinely care about them, and the information you provide must be valuable. Only then will they feel confident in your expertise and the information you share.
Did You Know: 94% of executives believe that personal branding is important for their careers, according to a survey by ExecuNet?
Leading with altruism is crucial for building trust with your audience. This is why it’s part of the 3 As of personal branding. By giving people the answers to questions they have, you are establishing yourself as an expert in your field. This is a powerful way to build your personal brand because it creates a sense of gratitude in your audience. For example, if you provide great information, people might want to thank you by giving you something in return, such as money, email, or a connection.
It’s important to remember the 80-20 rule when it comes to altruism: 80% of the time, you should be giving valuable information, while 20% of the time, you can ask for something in return, such as a subscription to your YouTube channel, a listen to your podcast or a visit to
- Demonstrates Empathy: Showcasing altruistic behavior showcases your ability to empathize with others and understand their needs, which can help you build strong connections with your online community.
- Establishes Trust: Engaging in altruistic actions can help establish trust among your followers and demonstrate that you are a reliable and trustworthy individual.
- Enhances Reputation: Your online personal brand is an extension of your offline reputation, and engaging in altruistic activities can help enhance your reputation and build a positive image.
- Encourages Community Engagement: By participating in altruistic activities, you can encourage others to become involved and contribute to your online community, which can help to foster a sense of belonging and community.
- Creates a Positive Impact: Altruism can create a positive impact on the lives of those you help, as well as those around you. This can help to create a ripple effect of positivity that spreads throughout your online community, which can benefit everyone involved.
Altruism is important for your online personal brand as it demonstrates empathy, establishes trust, enhances your reputation, encourages community engagement, and creates a positive impact on those you help and those around you. These actions can help build strong connections and foster a sense of belonging in your online community.
Authenticity is key when it comes to personal branding. People will be able to tell if you’re not being genuine, and this will cause them to mistrust you. For example, if your primary goal is to sell your book or secure paid speaking engagements, people will know, and this will repel them rather than attract them.
People want to work with those who are authentic and genuine, and this is why it’s so important to be yourself when building your personal brand. If you come across as fake or inauthentic, people will be able to tell, and this will negatively impact your brand.
- Builds Trust: Being authentic helps to build trust with your audience, as they can see that you are genuine and transparent in your actions and words. This can help to establish a strong connection with your followers and create a positive image for your personal brand.
- Differentiates You: Authenticity can help to differentiate you from others in your industry or niche, making you stand out and allowing your unique qualities and abilities to shine.
- Increases Engagement: Authenticity can lead to higher levels of engagement from your followers, as people are drawn to individuals who are genuine and sincere in their actions and words. This can help to foster a sense of community and encourage others to participate and engage with your personal brand.
Being authentic is important for your personal brand as it builds trust with your audience differentiates you from others, and increases engagement. Authenticity helps to establish a strong connection with your followers and foster a sense of community, leading to a positive image and higher levels of engagement with your personal brand. This is why authenticity is part of the 3 As of personal branding.
Did You Know: 59% of people believe that a CEO’s personal brand is important in deciding whether to purchase a product or service, according to a study by Weber Shandwick?
I mentioned this before; my business coach used to talk about taking ‘imperfect action.’ I love the concept of imperfect action, and I apply it every day in my business. It is the only way to get things done. I am always learning, and I take a leap of faith. So, take action. If you don’t take action, you will not see a return on investment, you will not build your personal brand, and you will be stuck on the sidelines.
- Demonstrates Commitment: Taking action shows that you are committed to your goals and your personal brand. It demonstrates your willingness to put in the effort and take risks to make your brand a success.
- Increases Visibility: Taking action will increase your visibility and help you stand out from others in your field. It gives you the opportunity to showcase your skills, talents, and abilities and allows you to establish yourself as a leader in your industry.
- Builds Confidence: Taking action and seeing positive results will boost your confidence and help you believe in your personal brand and your abilities. This can lead to increased motivation, determination, and the drive to continue taking action to reach your goals and build a strong, successful personal brand.
Taking action is the key to success in building your personal brand. Don’t get bogged down in analyzing every detail or worrying about finding the perfect moment. The truth is, there is no perfect situation or sign that will indicate the right time to start. Instead, embrace imperfect action and start taking steps towards your goals now. The more you take action, the more opportunities you will create for yourself and the more progress you will make toward building the personal brand you desire. Don’t wait for the perfect moment; take action and make it perfect.
Did You Know: A strong personal brand can increase a CEO’s salary by up to 20%, according to a study by ExecuNet?
To summarize, the 3 As of personal branding are altruism, authenticity, and action. Altruism demonstrates empathy, establishes trust, enhances reputation, encourages community engagement, and creates a positive impact. On the other hand, authenticity is key in personal branding, as people are able to tell if someone is not genuine. Authenticity builds trust, differentiates an individual from others, and increases engagement. Action is crucial to your personal online brand because it demonstrates your ability to turn your words into tangible results. It shows that you are a doer and not just a talker, which helps to build credibility and trust with your audience.
By combining these elements, you can create a strong personal brand. Thank you for tuning in, and I look forward to your comments and questions!